The report details what people living with dementia and their carers told us they value most about dementia friendly initiatives.
We carried out a survey for dementia friendly initiatives to gather information from them. We designed a survey for people living with dementia and their carers with the support of people living with dementia.
Most people living with dementia and their carers feel that their local community is dementia friendly and feel part of it.
- People told us they most valued greater dementia awareness, understanding and assistance from individuals, and community groups.
- The effects of dementia friendly initiatives for people living with dementia and their carers are positive and wide-ranging including improved physical and mental health, wellbeing, independence, activity and community involvement.
- The successes of dementia friendly initiatives closely aligned with what people living with dementia and their carers said they found most useful.
- Dementia friendly initiatives would value support with promotional materials and publicity.
- Volunteers play a key and valuable role in dementia friendly initiatives.